Candidates for May 2017 Federation Election
At the 18 May Membership meeting, the membership elected the 2017-2018 officers from a slate advanced by the Nominating Committee.
Per the Federation's bylaws, the nominating committee has as its members a past president, two district council representatives and representatives from two member communities. The members of the nominating committee for 2017-2018 were past president Tania Hossain, District Representatives Flint Webb and Art Wells, and community representatives Annmarie Swope and Nancy Trainer.
The officers-elect provided in advance these biographies:
Some of the volunteered work I have committed to actively, are as follows:
President: Tim Thompson
- It is my desire to run for the office of president of the Fairfax County Federation of Citizen Associations for the term starting July 1, 2017 and ending on June 30, 2018.
- I ask you all, the members of the Nominating Committee, for the honor of nominating me to stand for the office as the Federation's president.
- In discussion with the two current vice presidents, we would all like to continue as the team we've become, to better the viability of the Federation throughout Fairfax County.
- With major land use and proffer changes upon Fairfax County, as well as extremely high real estate taxes, issues for revenue diversity to County homeowners (our Membership), the Federation is poised to be ready to represent our Membership on any & all commissions/task forces etc on which the county and/or state representatives would want the full representation of the Federation.
- The "County Stress" study legislation was introduced to the Speaker of the House of Delegates and the Majority Leader of the State Senate from the Federation's Legislative Resolution as City/County Equalization. It has been championed by the Federation through last years (2016) General Assembly & will show that Fairfax County is indeed in need of STATE tax relief. The expected results from the JLARC examination will allow the BOS to impose revenue streams separate from the existing real estate taxes to fund Fairfax County.
- Most notability the Tobacco Tax, but increases in BPOL subsections, and other funding sources currently enjoyed by neighboring jurisdictions will soon be able to also be implemented in Fairfax County too.....and I would like to be president to see this legislation for which I've lobbied the past 2 years become law and assist the BOS in its implementation.
- Bottom Line: The current Federation officers will have introduced some - if only minimal - lower real estate tax relief.
- Again, I'd like to lead the Federation's efforts with the BOS to install alternative revenue streams to alleviate, in some small effort, reliance by the BOS on property taxes as its most major means of revenue.
- Thank you for your consideration and the opportunity to stand for re-election as President of the Federation.
First Vice President: Edward Wyse (Ed)
- Ed Wyse and his wife Margaret have resided in Fairfax County since 1980. Since 2005 Ed has served as the Secretary of the Civic Association of West Springfield Village and is its delegate to the Fairfax County Federation of Citizens Associations. He served the Federation as the Recording Secretary (2009-2013) and First Vice President (2013-2017). Since 2012 he has been the Springfield District Council's representative to the Federation. Ed also serves as a leader of a service ministry at St. Bernadette Church in Springfield and as a Bluebird Society of Virginia trail monitor at the FCPA’s Laurel Hill Golf Club.
- Now retired, Ed is a former Army officer, management consultant, and enterprise architect. He has a B.S. in History and Political Science, an M.S. in Business Administration, and an M.S. in Computer Information Systems.
Second Vice President: William Barfield (Bill)
- Bill desires to continue contributing to the improvement, safety, and well-being of our Fairfax communities through volunteerism in organizations such as the Federation. He has lived in Northern Virginia since 1982 and appreciates its steady growth in population and businesses. Through his volunteerism, he has worked with multinational, senior and youth residents as well as with elected officials representing Fairfax Magisterial, State and Congressional Districts.
- In the last decade, he has been President of Edsall Park Community Pool Association (2003-2006), President of Country Club View Civic Association (2006-2007), Chairman of the Braddock District Council of Community Associations (2009-2013), and 2nd Vice President of the Federation (2013-2017). Bill is a founder and current vice chair of the Braddock District Land Use and Environmental Management Committee.
- As 2nd Vice President, Bill will continue to actively encouraged citizens and businesses to participate in Federation events such as monthly meetings, Federation and Fairfax community events and issues, and the Citizen of the Year celebration. He will continue in the recruitment of membership and in the coordination of the fifteen Federation committees, seven District Council representatives, and Federation representatives on fifteen County advisory groups. Additionally, as current Legislative Committee co-chair, he will ensure improvement in Federation liaison with county and state elected officials. Bill believes the teamwork of the membership and its Board of Directors is the foundation for continued Federation growth beyond its 75th year.
Treasurer: Alejandro Mattiuzzo
- My name is Alejandro Mattiuzzo and I have lived in the Washington DC Metro area for 12 years. My wife Sheri and I moved to Lake Barcroft 2 years ago. We feel truly blessed to be a part of the community in Fairfax County and wish to contribute to its continued growth and prosperity.
- I graduated from the University of Richmond in 2005 with a Bachelors in Business Administration majoring in Accounting. I graduated with honors from the Kogod School of Business with a Master of Science in Accounting degree in May of 2016.
- For the past 11 years, I have been working as an accounting professional working on budgets and financial statements for various corporations. My current position is that of Audit Associate for KPMG’s Federal Audit Practice.
- As returning Treasurer for the FCFCA, it is my sincere desire to help the Federation promote the interests of our citizens by using my skills in any way that best suits the organization. If my time and experience can be used for the greater good of our citizens and to promote the work of the Federation, I hope that you will reconsider me for the position of Treasurer. Thank you for your consideration.
Recording Secretary: NO NOMINEE
- No one has indicated a willingness to serve as the Federation's Recording Secretary. If interested, please contact our President, Tim Thompson
George Becerra: Corresponding Secretary
- I am writing to you and the Nominating Committee to convey my interest in serving the Federation next year in the role of Corresponding Secretary.
- I have learned a lot this year as the Recording Secretary, where I have missed only one Board or General meeting throughout the year and that was due to a death in the family. I have also attended other events announced by the Federation throughout the year that were not part of my duties, but of interest to the overall well-being of our County and thus directly Federation business.
- As I have always been a person to constantly learn and contribute in multiple ways, I am seeking the position of Corresponding Secretary to bring what I learned as being the Federation Recording Secretary and from the various leadership roles I hold or have held in community organizations.
- I again will state as I did last year, I would like to serve on the Federation to make sure that diverse community voices are heard in a County which by the early 2020's will be a majority-minority county. To also assist in the great work the Federation has done on the issues of education, public safety, transportation, land use, and quality of life for all residents.
- I have been a resident of Fairfax County since 1984. I currently reside in the Braddock District, but have lived in the Providence District for more than 20 years. I have been a decade long community advocate in the areas of education/public schools, public safety, economic equality & equity, civil/human rights, and land use.
- Short Personal Bio Information:
- 33 year resident of Fairfax County - Lived in Providence District growing up, where my parents still live, and I now live in Braddock District since 2007. Very active in Braddock district, but still active in the other 8 districts.
- Federal Employee since 1999 (Statistician, Operations Research Analyst, and Special Assistant)
- DOD (Army) - Pentagon [1999-2008]
- Dept of Homeland Security - Immigration and Customs Enforcement [2008 to present] - ICE is the largest law enforcement agency in the country; I am currently responsible for 60% of all detention facilities contracts.
- Special Assistant to the Office of the Director of ICE [2010 - 2011] - Liaison concerning all matters between ICE and the following entities: DHS Hdqts, DHS Executive Secretary, other DHS Agencies, White House, Congress, and Department of Justice.
- Currently also a Federal Emergency Response Official
- 1 child graduated from FCPS and 1 child is currently in FCPS
- First in Family to Graduate College
- Bachelor of Science in Math, Minor in Political Science; 42 Graduate Credit Hours in Master of Science in Statistics
- Current Community and Civic Involvement:
- Fairfax County's Ad Hoc Police Practices Review Commission (On the Use of Force & Independent Investigations/Oversight Subcommittees) - April 2015 to October 2015; Presently asked to opine on recommendations by the Implementation Team; Also attended 80% of the other 3 Ad Hoc Commission subcommittees: Mental Health and CIT, Communications, and Recruitment, Diversity, and Vetting.
- Fairfax County Citizens Police Academy - Current Alumni Member since 2006 when I went through the program; I have done 4 police ride-a-longs of 10 hours each time from 7pm to 5am (2 in Mount Vernon and 2 in Mason District), 1 ride-a-long with the Sheriff’s Department (6 hours); 2 complete tours of the Police Academy and 2 complete tours of the Detention Center
- Fairfax County's Board of Supervisors Human Services Council - Non-Official Member - Have attended regular meetings since January 2014
- Braddock District Land Use and Environment Committee - Current Member
- Fairfax County Office of Elections - Election Officer - November 2012 to Present (In the same capacity, I was chosen to assist in the Recount of the Virginia Attorney General Election in 2013)
- Fairfax County NAACP - Member since 2012 - Voted in as a National Delegate to the NAACP National Convention 2015; Voted in as a State Delegate to the Virginia NAACP State Convention 2016; Currently on the Fairfax County NAACP Education Committee, Criminal Justice Committee, and Legal Redress Committee
- Service Employees International Union - Member since 2013 (Friends of SEIU)
- American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), AFL-CIO Local 0511, District 5 - Current Member
- Social Action Linking Together (SALT) - Current Member
- Fairfax County and Fairfax County Public Schools Joint Taskforce - Successful Children and Youth Policy Team (SCYPT) - Active Member - October 2012 to Present
One of the beginning focuses of the SCYPT was the Disparities of the Juvenile Justice System in Fairfax County
- Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Community Selection Panel - March 2017 to May 2017
- Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent School Budget Task Force - May 2015 to October 2015 and December 2016 to January 2017 (Representing At-Large School Board Member, Ilryong Moon twice)
- Active Member of 5 Local PTA Units for Nearly a Decade - 2007 to Present - Bonnie Brae ES, Robinson SS, Lake Braddock SS (Co-Chair All Night Graduation Party),
Kings Park / Kings Glen ES (Legislative Chair), and Eagle View ES; including Minority Parents for Excellence in Education Groups and Boosters.
- Fairfax County School Board - Minority Student Achievement Oversight Committee - Chairman - June 2012 to June 2014 (Still a Member, Representing Braddock District)
*Hispanic Educators Association/Hispanic Leadership Alliance -Active member since January 2014
- Over 7,000 direct phone conversations, emails, face-to-face meetings with Fairfax County School Board, Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent, and Fairfax County Board of Supervisors since 2011
- Regular speaker and attendee at the Fairfax County School Board and Board of Supervisors Regular Meetings (on top of Public Hearing testimonies).Have attended all District Supervisors Budget Town Hall Meetings for the last 4 years.
- Been interviewed, quoted, and asked repeatedly for interviews by The Washington Post, Fox 5 News, WJLA 7, Univision, Washingtonian, and the Connection Newspapers.
- Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception - Master of Ceremonies - December 2006 to present
- St. Anthony Catholic Church - Parishioner from 2003 to present - The epicenter of Hispanic Catholics in NOVA - Volunteered thousands of hours; 4th Degree Knight in the Knights of Columbus since 2007
- Past Community and Civic Involvement:
- Fairfax County's Equitable Economic Growth Profile Advisory Group - March 2015 To July 2015
- Fairfax County Council of Parent Teacher Associations - Executive Board Member - Minority Student Achievement Oversight Representative - 2010 to 2012
- Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Community Selection Panel - March 2013 to May 2013
- Fairfax County School Board's Advanced Academic Program Advisory Committee - September 2012 to June 2016
- Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent's Business and Community Advisory Council - Appointed to the Council - January 2012 to June 2013
- Invest in Fairfax - Original Member when the Fairfax Education Association created it in 2013 - December 2013 to April 2014
- Fully Fund FCPS - Member of the Core Organizational Group - October 2013 to April 2014
- Washington Post Panel - State of Public Education in Fairfax County - One of Only Five Chosen Panel Members (Superintendent, Fairfax Education Association President, Fairfax County Federation of Teachers President, FCCPTA President, and myself (minority community) - September 2013
- Georgetown University Hospital - Volunteered from 2008 to 2012